SMART Digital Accelerator was a University of Wales Trinity Saint David project, funded by Welsh Government, that supported manufacturers in Wales to adopt new digital technologies.
The project team was made up of industry experts, academics and partner organisation AMRC Cymru. What they needed was not just a marketer, but an expert in marketing strategy and digital marketing execution who could immerse themselves in the intricacies of the project.
Lucy was key to the success of this project. She integrated herself at every level so really became part of the team. Her experience means she is very instinctive and knew how to brand and communicate the project whilst keeping stakeholders such as Welsh Government and UWTSD’s comms departments happy. We are looking forward to working with Lucy again very soon. I know she has also started supporting some of the manufacturers involved in this project with their marketing.
Richard Morgan, Project Lead for SMART Digital Accelerator, UWTSD.
Taking the lead on the marketing strategy, the project saw a surge of success.
The profile of the SMART Digital Accelerator project rose amongst the target making, establishing it as an example of best practice. Social media engagement grew by 20%+ a month. And both the Welsh Government and UWTSD acknowledged marketing as a crucial contributor to the project’s success. The SMART Digital Accelerator experts became thought leaders in technically advanced topics and concepts, getting excellent press and sector-specific media coverage.
My playbook for success:
- Attended weekly project meetings ensuring a seamless integration into the team.
- Created a distinctive logo and comprehensive brand guidelines.
- Worked on a virtual home for the project on UWTSD’s website.
- Managed social media accounts to tell the story of the project that aligned with it goals.
- Ensured brand consistency, producing pop-up stands, promotional items, and leaflets, effectively bridging the gap between the digital and physical.
- Adhered to UWTSD, Welsh Government, and Welsh language guidelines.
- Managed and attended events and wrote press released and blog posts to showcase the brilliance of the project.
It was humbling to work with such an incredible team – a powerful collaboration of academia and industry that more than achieved its goals. The legacy of this initiative is incredible – it has been the catalyst for so many new projects and relationships. I’m proud to have played a part in it.